Mawson’s Huts Replica Museum
The Museum was built to raise funds for the ongoing conservation of the historic buildings at Cape Denison which were used as the main base for the 1911-14 Australasian Antarctic Expedition (AAE)
Standing on the Hobart waterfront just 200 metres from where Mawson’s expedition departed from in 1911, the Replica also serves as an educational facility and promotes the legacy of the AAE.
For the safety of our staff, visitors and local community, please do not plan a visit to the museum if you:
- feel unwell, have experienced cold or flu symptoms, fever or recent loss of smell or taste
- have had close contact with a confirmed case of COVID-19 in the last 14 days
- have been instructed to quarantine and your 14 days has not yet finished
Corner Argyle & Morrison Streets
(Opposite Constitution Dock)
Hobart TAS 7000 Australia
Authentic in its origins
It is a replica in every sense of the word. Heritage carpenters, who worked at Cape Denison on the conservation of the huts, took hundreds of photographs and measurements which were faithfully used to create the replica.
- Every saw cut and corner mirrors the original.
- The Baltic Pine cladding and flooring was sourced from the same region in Scandinavia as the material provided to Mawson in 1911.
- Exactly the same dimension and tongue & groove cut.
- Imported into Australia by the same Melbourne merchant that supplied the original expedition over 100 years ago.
Situated on land generously provided by the Hobart City Council (HCC), the Replica Museum was constructed off-site in an area provided by the Tasmanian Ports Authority. Construction was done in three sections to allow transportation to the current site where it was bolted together for the final fit-out.
After years of securing funding and the support of the HCC in providing a site, work on the Replica began with the assistance of a special grant of $350,000 from the Federal Government in 2011 and the generosity of many Tasmanian businesses and individuals who donated time, goods and goodwill.
Construction took just four months and it was officially opened on December 2, 2013 on the 102nd anniversary of Mawson’s departure from Hobart as leader of the AAE.
Volunteers are essential for the success of the Foundation, which values and respects their skills, generosity and knowledge along with the intellectual contribution they make.
It is their work, alongside our staff, that has taken the Replica Museum to the exalted position of the No 1 Museum in Hobart on TripAdvisor.
Acknowledgements of Excellence
Since opening, the Museum has received several awards.
Tasmanian Tourism Awards
The Museum received a silver and bronze award on the two occasions it has entered the awards.
Awarded Hall of Fame in 2019 for receiving the Certificate of Excellence for 5 consecutive years. TripAdvisor also ranks the Museum as: one of the Top 25 Museums in the South Pacific; No 1 out of 18 Museums in Hobart; and No 3 out of 140 Things to Do in Hobart.